Books I am reading

Thursday, January 3, 2013



Georgia S's review of Bel Canto   
by Ann Patchett
Dec 06, 2012

5 of 5 stars false
Read from December 01 to 06, 2012

I have been completely enthralled by this book. I am writing this review at 2am because I couldn't stop reading until I finished the book, and now I can't get to sleep; I am so filled with the characters, the opera singing, the unfolding of life and love.
The story was first conceived during the Japanese Embassey take-over in Peru in the mid-1990's. The idea of how the terrorists and the captives would interact intrigued Ms. Patchett.
There is a gentle unfolding of trust, friendship and even love. Hidden gifts bloom is this space where it seems there is nothing to do.
If you love explorations of characters, the struggle to understand those who are different from us, and then to discover similarities, this book is for you. I felt as though I was taken to the heights of that is good in humankind, and plunged to the depths of hell that is created when fear reigns.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to sit and have a cuppa tea with me. I welcome your perspective, but please express yourself without being abusive, using curse words, or promoting hate or discrimination. Thank you.