Books I am reading

Friday, January 11, 2013

One Was a Soldier

 
by 

's review 
Jan 11, 2013 

5 of 5 stars false
Read from January 01 to 09, 2013



I really like this series, and suggest that if you want to read it, start at the beginning with In The Bleak Mid-Winter.

In this book, Clare Fergusson has recently returned from active duty as a helicopter pilot. She is in a support group for returning vets, helping them to re-assimilate back into civilian life. The plot develops as each vet finds his/her way back. I don't know how real vets feel about the portrayal, but the issues with which they struggle seem genuine to me from my therapist perspective.

I am fairly uncomfortable with the group's therapist, Sarah. There are too many times her comments and behavior seem very unprofessional to me. But I am also afraid it may be a very accurate representation of what is available for our vets.

Clare is an Episcopalian priest in civilian life, and, she is in a relationship with the chief of police, Russ Van Alstyne. As their relationship deepens, the fears that Clare has come to the surface. Being an old romantic, I like the way they resolve their differences, and, address her concerns.

The characters are interesting, multi-dimensional, and humanly complicated. I enjoy the series because Julia Spencer-Fleming brings true-to-life characters to life.

1 comment:

I invite you to sit and have a cuppa tea with me. I welcome your perspective, but please express yourself without being abusive, using curse words, or promoting hate or discrimination. Thank you.