Books I am reading

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I Am Sophie Tucker

     I received an advanced copy of this novel through NetGalley, in exchange for a review. This is my personal opinion.

     Susan & Lloyd Ecker have created an interesting, lush story of the life and times of Sophie Tucker. She is an icon of Vaudeville entertainment and the proverbial rags to riches story. She came to America as a young child, and her parents worked night and day to provide for her and her siblings. My favorite part of the story was her tour of Europe with her third husband, Al Lackey. She retraced the journey her parents took from the Ukraine to Connecticut, and I felt it was the most authentic she ever allowed herself to be publicly.

     I have very mixed feeling about the book. It was always interesting and compelling and very well written. I have used several of Ms. Tucker's songs in my work as a music therapist with geriatric clients. So I had a vague sense of Sophie, but I really didn't like her when I got to know her better through this book. I found her to be so rude, pushy, abusive and crude. She is not someone I would ever waste time getting to know.  But it was fun and interesting reading about her. I love the history of vaudeville, and enjoyed the inside look provided through Sophie's eyes.

     I am curious about the revelations at the end of the book. I don't want to share them and ruin it for others, but I am very curious about how true they are. They do shed a kinder and more ruthless light on Sophie.

     If you love showbiz stories, you will love this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to sit and have a cuppa tea with me. I welcome your perspective, but please express yourself without being abusive, using curse words, or promoting hate or discrimination. Thank you.